Pages

A very sad tale…

I had met Eddie a few years ago.  He was referred to me to help develop a plan for paying down his debt.  He had a number of store and regular credit cards and a car loan.

He was full of optimism and sharp as a tack.  He was looking for a new job to supplement his income and looking forward to working together.

Did I mention he was 72 at the time, a widower, already retired, and receiving a pension?

At his apartment, there was a lot of stuff, but everything was clean and neat.  Books, records, wall art, furniture were everywhere.  Not junk, but there was just a lot of stuff.

I gave him a plan, and he was also optimistic about getting a part time job so he could pay down his debt quickly.

Over time, it a few things were clear – he continued to use his credit cards, and job opportunity after opportunity went by.  Despite our conversations, he kept on the same path.

We even looked at his non-lifestyle expenses and freed up some money each month.  For example, he was overpaying for his auto insurance because his license “points” weren't reflected accurately.

Recently, Eddie called me asking for some information regarding bankruptcy.  He shared some details with me.  He never got that job – or any job – for that matter.  His pension alone wasn't enough to cover his spending, so his debt continued to climb and fell behind on his payments.  His car was repossessed.  Even his internet service was shut off.

I referred him to a good friend and bankruptcy attorney, but I reflected on this situation.

  • You can’t pay down debt if you keep adding to debt.
  • Despite a lifetime of experience, enthusiasm and skills, it’s not always easy to get a job when you want a job.
  • I’m not suggesting age discrimination, but you might not have the choice of working in retirement.
  • It must be emotionally devastating to have to file bankruptcy at age 74.


For me, I find this situation upsetting because I really like Eddie.  He is a kind and generous person, but he was also very stubborn in some ways.  He didn't want to make some changes in his lifestyle.  He didn't want to sell any of his items to raise money.  His retirement plan was to get a job.  And none of those things worked out.

For his sake, I hope this bankruptcy motivates him to make changes for the better.  But this is going to be a drastic change no matter what.

I do not want to have his situation in the future.  It was extremely eye opening for me.

Do you know any “Eddie”s?

What do you think of his situation?