Pages

Those “rich” people on the other side of the lake.

Hope everyone had a great 4th of July weekend.  It’s my favorite holiday every year, and this year I was fortunate enough to meet some of my neighbors and see some fireworks on Saturday evening.

Friday evening, I heard loud music from a house – sounded like a great party.  It seemed like one of my neighbors, but as I went to investigate, I realized that the music was coming from a large house across the lake.  It was a huge party.  Music was loud and the lights were bright.

Anyway, when I was at the neighbor’s house on Saturday night, I asked them if they heard the music from the night before.

Oh yeah!  It was so loud.  It’s those rich people across the lake!

It was strange to hear these neighbors mention “the rich people across the lake.”  Their house was on the lake itself, nicely furnished, and even had a dock and a boat.  Yet, they referred to the “rich people” and did not consider themselves rich.

I suppose it’s all relative.  The people across the lake certainly had a huge, beautiful house.  My neighbors also had a nice house on the lake.  And their house makes my house look like a shack, and I’m certainly not on the lake.

To paraphrase numerous studies, people always look up to people with higher in comes.  People who make $25k per year think those who make $50k are rich.  People who make $50k per year think those who make $100k are rich.  And so on.  I suppose it’s not a surprise that there was a hint of house envy.  And trying to “keep up with the Jones” is a very dangerous financial game.

It is also important to note that there’s a difference between income and wealth.  It has been studied and shown that people, in general, who have conspicuous displays of income – large houses, cars, boats, etc. – do not correlate with high levels of wealth.

So those people across the lake – the big house, the big party, loud music – could simply have high income.  They could have a big mortgage and credit card debt up to their eyeballs.  Who knows?

There’s no way I could – or even want to keep up with those Jones.  But I hope they invite me to their party next year!